The Raspberry Pi Pico W, also with pre-soldered headers, allows users to easily add wireless connectivity to builds and IoT projects.
Building on the enormous popularity of the Raspberry Pi Pico, which launched in January 2021, we are delighted to announce the extension of the Pico range to include a wireless-enabled and pre-soldered header-equipped W model. Everything that a standard Pico is, but now with wireless capabilities.
The Raspberry Pi Pico W is a low-cost, high-performance microcontroller board with flexible digital interfaces which incorporates an Infineon CYW43439 wireless chip. CYW43439 supports IEEE 802.11 b/g/n wireless LAN. The antenna is an onboard antenna licensed from ABRACON (formerly ProAnt). The wireless interface is connected via SPI to the RP2040 microcontroller. For best wireless performance, the antenna should be in free space. For instance, putting metal under or close to the antenna can reduce its performance both in terms of gain and bandwidth. Adding grounded metal to the sides of the antenna can improve the antenna’s bandwidth.
The board has been pre-fitted with a pre-soldered 40-way header connector, for greater ease of use in hobbyist and industrial applications.
At the heart of this microcontroller is RP2040. a Raspberry Pi-designed chip. The Raspberry Pi Pico, it's; small, fast, highly affordable, and incredibly versatile. Brought to you by the same team that delivered the Raspberry Pi computer. The powerful, Pi-designed, RP2040 Dual ARM Cortex-M0+ @ 133MHz chip features 256KB internal RAM. This is paired with 2MB of onboard QSPI Flash memory for code and data storage. The board is fully loaded with the hardware and flexible I/O options that make it perfect for beginners and experts alike.
Unlike the Raspberry Pi computers, like the Raspberry Pi 4, the pico has no operating system. Instead, the board is programmed to do only the tasks that are required of it in the project it will be used for. It can be programmed with the C/C++ SDK or with MicroPython. Code on your Desktop Computer/Pi and then transfer via USB to the Pico. There are a number of options when it comes to coding editors. We've favoured using Thonny as it is beginner-friendly and cross-platform by design.
- A USB cable is NOT supplied. On is available separately here.
- This board is fully compatible with all of our kits and boards designed for use with the Raspberry Pi Pico, such as;
- The Raspberry Pi Pico W, also with pre-soldered headers, allows users to easily add wireless connectivity to projects. This makes it perfect for wirelessly controlled builds and IoT projects.
- On-board single-band 2.4GHz wireless interfaces (802.11n) via Infineon CYW43439 wireless chip. With WPA3 & soft access point supporting up to 4 clients.
- The Raspberry Pi Pico board is a new cutting-edge microcontroller that features the Pi-designed ARM-based dual-core RP2040 chip.
- The RP2040 is a Dual ARM Cortex-M0+ @ 133MHz chip.
- 256kB on-chip SRAM.
- Support for up to 16MB of off-chip Flash memory.
- Pre-soldered header pins so no user soldering is required.
- Micro USB port, power and data (USB 1.1 with device and host support).
- Drag & drop programming via USB.
- Low-power sleep and dormant modes.
- Accurate clock and timer on-chip.
- Temperature sensor.
- Accelerated floating-point libraries on-chip.
- Flexible IO, including; 26 multi-function GPIO pins, 2 × SPI, 2 × I2C, 2 × UART, 3 × 12-bit ADC, 16 × controllable PWM channels.
- 8 × Programmable I/O (PIO) state machines for custom peripheral support.
- Code it with C/C++ SDK or with MicroPython.
- The Pico W is supplied with pre-soldered header pins that are compatible with breadboards and standard jumper wires.
- 1 x Raspberry Pi Pico W - Wireless with Header.
- Length: 51.3mm.
- Width: 21mm.
- Max Height: 11.12mm.
- Weight: 6g.