The ACCESS:bit is a bolt-on/clip-on board for the BBC microbit that simulates an access barrier. It Includes a switch for turning the integrated 3xAAA battery supply on and off and also a buzzer for sound. The ACCESS:bit joins the family of transportation/pedestrian crossing micro:bit accessories, that also includes; the STOP:bit and LAMP:bit.
The ACCESS:bit is supplied with a single servo, a barrier, and all of the required fixings. Once the microbit has been fitted to the ACCESS:bit its LED matrix is fully visible and therefore can be used to display warning signals, stop/go symbols or as a light sensor for autonomous actions.
The ACCESS:bit has been designed to allow for connection to the micro:bit via the supplied M3 countersunk screws or via crocodile clips. For pinout information, please refer to the Datasheet.
Kitronik has also produced a set of custom MakeCode editor blocks that make it possible to simplify the task of coding, thus opening up this activity to younger students.
To add the custom blocks to the MakeCode menu, select the cog in the top right of the editor. Then, select Extensions from the drop down menu. This will bring up the search box, search for Kitronik. Now, select the ACCESS:bit tile and the blocks will be added to the editor.
- The ACCESS:bit does not include a micro:bit. The micro:bit is available separately; here.
- This kit requires some mechanical assembly.
- The ACCESS:bit is an accessory for the BBC micro:bit that simulates an access barrier.
- It features and on/off switch, integrated battery cage and buzzer for sound.
- The micro:bit can bolt-on/clip-on to the board.
- It follows the same aesthetic as the STOP:bit and LAMP:bit.
- It can be used in conjunction with the STOP:bit and LAMP:bit for larger projects.
- We have created custom code blocks for the MakeCode Editor that are available as an Extension to the editor.
- Height: 89mm.
- Max Width (with barrier fully extended): 125mm.
- Max Depth (with servo affixed): 30mm.
- PCB Thickness: 1.6mm.